Plant pest or biological control

Stelenes at aol.com Stelenes at aol.com
Fri Jun 16 14:25:40 EDT 2000

In a message dated 6/16/00 10:24:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time, viceroy at anu.ie
writes:

Speaking of the need for butterfly-pest regulations:

> What we fall back on, with these regulations, is the bottom-line
>  question: What if everybody wanted to do it.

While I appreciate the bottom line stated by Anne Kilmer, I think there is a
lot more to this chapter.  Consider:

What if everybody wanted to grow corn?
(The world would look more like Iowa and the Amazon would be history)
What if everyone wanted to eat organic?
What if everybody wanted to be boss?
(The world would be all regulation and no fun)
What if everybody wanted to eat cod?
What if everyone converted their lands to gardens?
What if everybody wanted to drive off-road?
What if everybody wanted a car to drive?
(The ratio of cars:total population in the US is about 1:2.
There are the same number of cars approx in Europe.
The rest of the world might add 25% more)
What if everybody wanted to photograph butterflies?
What if everybody wanted to collect butterflies?
What if everyone wanted 3 or more kids?
What if everyone wanted to pollute the air?
........and if everyone jumped off a bridge, I suppose we would need EPA
water quality regulation for bridge jumping in this country.
(Hey what if everyone thought that was humorous)

What if everybody wanted only to preserve habitat? (None of the previous
could arguably coexist and what a wonderful world it could be)

-Luck of the Irish that there are different likees for different psyches and
economics is unfairly fair.

Doug Dawn
(Woodland, CA)