Amazonia

priamus at my-deja.com priamus at my-deja.com
Fri Jun 16 17:59:44 EDT 2000

>Date:16 Jun 2000 06:29:30 -0700
>From:pab6dsb at WEST-01.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK (D.S. BLAKELEY)
>Organization:University of Leeds
>Newsgroups:sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera

>Date sent:        Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:27:34 +0000
>Subject:          IMPORTANT

>Subject:                Amazonia

>This is important for all of us!!!
>Brazilian congress is now voting on a project that will reduce the
>amazon forest to 50% of its size. The area to be deforested is 4
>times the size of Portugal and would be mainly used for agriculture and
>pastures for livestock... All the wood is to be sold to international
>markets in the form of wood chips, by multinational companies...
>The truth is that the soil in the amazon forest is useless without the
>forest itself. Its quality is very acidic and the region is prone to
>constant floods. At this time more than 160.000 square kilometers
>deforested with the same purpose, are abandoned and in the
>process of becoming deserts. We cannot let this happen. Copy the text
>into a new email, put your complete name in the list below, and send to
>everyone you know.  (Don't just forward it cos then it will end up with
>rows of >>>'s )

Hold on a moment laddie. I don't sign blank cheques and I'm sure other
members of this forum don't either.

Can you please advise the title of the proposed Bill/Legislation and the
identity of the  Representative/Minister responsible and how he/she may
be contacted for further information?

Can you also advise of any other sources from whom we may seek
independant confirmation of the DETAILS of this matter? Are there any
press/media articles dealing with it? Scientific research or
environmental impact studies?

There have been some interesting counter arguments appearing in the
press recently about the supposed degradation of the Amazon in the last
few weeks and I am not about to rush in without some supporting
evidence.

(This is one link I was able to grab at a moments notice, but I daresay
that more searches will reveal others:
http://www.dxmarket.com/worldnetdaily/products/V0012.html)

I also note that those "nasty", but always unidentified multinational
companies are yet again named as the villains. Quite frankly, I'm sick
and tired of this type of unsubstantiated limp wristed, politically
correct, weight watcher's type of vitriol.

Cheers,

Chris Hocking

-Madness is rare in individuals;
 but in groups, parties & nations it is the rule.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.