Amazonia

Chris Raper cmt.raper at triocomp.co.uk
Mon Jun 19 04:28:45 EDT 2000

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:59:44 GMT, priamus at my-deja.com wrote:

>>Date sent:        Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:27:34 +0000
>>Subject:          IMPORTANT
>
>>Subject:                Amazonia
>
>>This is important for all of us!!!

Hi Chris

I have received this from two sources so far and it seems to be doing
the rounds. I'm afraid it has all the hallmarks of a chain letter -
consider this:

1. Email chain letters are _very_ common. They are usually dressed up
as virus warnings but can come in the form of a charity apeal etc.
2. There is no targeting of any campaign - no web-site to look at, no
address in the Brazilian Government to petition etc. Just a request to
email all your friends - what good is that going to do?
3. The original sender has covered their tracks by asking you to copy
the message text (thereby removing any trace of their original
posting).
4. They ask the 100th person to email a fixed address - this is
unlikely to be their own address and might actually be the address of
someone they want to bombard with malicious emails! Imagine the effect
of 100 levels of this letter all emailing the same person - it would
completely overwhelm most email servers and probably bring down their
computer system.
5. Although the Brazilians are not renound for their fondness for
tropical rainforest, I haven't seen anything on the news about this.

Anyway, as much as I support the cause of rainforest protection, I
would suggest everyone bin this if they get one. If they really want
to help they should contact The Worldwide Fund for Nature or Friends
of the Earth and ask them who to write to so that they can join a
properly organised campaign - if one exists!

Best wishes,
Chris R.