Mounting a moth

James Bond 007 do_not_reply at here.com
Tue Jun 20 13:11:39 EDT 2000

I am not a butterfly collector,
and have no experience in the area.

A large moth decided to leave this mortal coil
on my porch, and I decided to mount it,
but cannot find a suitable prepared kit anywhere
in the Northern Virginia area.

I have tried all the local arts/crafts stores
and nature outlets, to no avail.

So, I decided to make my own,
using white foam core as the mount/background,
to which the moth will be attached with small pins,
and then I will mount that in a glass-covered frame.

My question is whether I should treat the moth
with something to prevent it from deteriorating
(e.g., shellac, paint fixer, hair spray, etc)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Bond . . . James Bond