Food for Monarch caterpillars

Roger Dewhurst dewhurst at wave.co.nz
Thu Mar 16 16:28:13 EST 2000

Roger Dewhurst wrote:

> I have a number of Monarch butterfly caterpillars on a small Swan
> plant.  The leaves will all be eaten soon.  Can anyone suggest other
> plants on which to put some of them?

They will survive quite well on geraniums, and on the native rariki
(spelling) weed.

You can also use bits of cabbage leaves poked onto the bare ends of
the
swan plant branches as a partial feed. Pumpkin is an absolutely last
resort supplement only.

You will find if you have 6 or so swan plants, the butteflies will be
selective on which ones they lay on at what time of the season, and
with
some judicious placement of the catepillars on the various plants, you
can ensure plenty of feed for them throughout the year.

Keith Davidson