Roundup

Kurt Jacobs kurtjacobs at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 17 23:41:40 EST 2000

Roundup is a salt.  It breaks down rather quickly when water is added into
nontoxic chemicals.  Many people mix up table salt to kill weeds instead of
paying the money for the expensive roundup. NACL is much more toxic than
roundup in my opinion.  Here is the eco info from the MSDS.

ECOTOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION: Studies performed with a concentrated solution
of the isopropylamine salt of glyphosate indicate the following:
MON 0139 Technical (62%)
48-hr LC50 Daphnia: 930 mg/L, Practically Nontoxic
96-hr LC50 Bluegill: >1,000 mg/L, Practically Nontoxic
96-hr LC50 Trout: >1,000 mg/L, Practically Nontoxic
96-hr LC50 Carp: >10,000 ppm, Practically Nontoxic

Roundup is not going to kill any earthworms either.  Even if you spray
roundup on an earthworm it wont kill it if you dilute the roundup to the
proper dosage recommended.  It (the earthworm) will probably lose some
weight though.

Roundup is sprayed on leaves, enters the plant through the absorption into
the leaves, and dries up the plant from the tip of the roots to the end of
the leaves by using the plants transport system.  Just like saltwater kills
people who drink it when stranded adrift in the ocean.  I prefer to pull
weeds to be honest with you and the only chemicals i ever use in a garden
are those in water and fertilizers and air, but roundup is a puppy of a
herbicide in my opinion.

news:38D298B8.B131B22D at gate.net...