Roundup

Paul Cherubini cherubini at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 17 17:23:35 EST 2000

Jan MacLaughlin wrote:

> The information below is from the California EPA database
> ( http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/label/prodnam.htm )  You'll notice there is a
> caution regarding its use and it does list health and environmental hazards.

Yes, the precautionary statements on the Roundup label and in other
official documents like the Material Safety Data Sheet state: "Causes eye irriation.
Avoid contact with eyes or clothing."

One will find similar statements on the labels of household products you and I
use without much worry:

CHLOROX: "Causes substantial, but temporary eye injury"

FORMULA 409 DEGREASER: "Causes eye irritation. Do not get in eyes on skin
or clothing"

TIDE DETERGENT: "Avoid contact with eyes"

CASCADE LIQUID DISHWASHER DETERGENT: "Causes eye irritation. In case
of contact, flush with water"

Here is another perspective: Many lepidopterists know
how extremely painful and irritating the wings scales of some butterflies are if
one touches ones eyes or lips after handling them.  Then of course we all know
what onions, garlic, lemons and other fruits and vegetables (even those grown
organically) can do to the eyes not to mention pepper and other spices.

Given a choice, I'd prefer a shot of diluted Roundup in my eyes to pepper spray
or organic lemon juice any day!

Paul Cherubini, Placerville, California