North San Diego CO (3/18/00)

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Sun Mar 19 22:10:50 EST 2000

Home for just a day - and long enough to visit my son at his Boy Scout Camp
on Camp Pendleton.  I was here a year ago, and managed to record several
Coenonympha tullia (California Ringlet) and Erynnis funeralis (Funereal
Duskywing) then.  This year, there were quite a few more Leps on the wing.
Most common were the Anthocharis sara (Sara Orangetip).  I was quite pleased
to find so many females - and all very fresh.  Glaucopsyche lygdamus
(Silvery Blue) was also very, very common.  There were a few Erynnis
funeralis flying, and also Callophrys affinis (Bramble Hairstreak) and C.
augustinus (Brown Elfin).  A pair of fresh Papilio rutulus were flying, as
were the ever-present Pieris rapae (Cabbage White).

That's it, but not bad for a two-hour walk with my daughter (she came
along).  We also enjoyed a quick swim in the river - poking around with some
crawdads.

I hope we get some more rain.

Mark Walker.