Birds eating Monarchs and arctiids

John Shuey jshuey at tnc.org
Tue Mar 21 08:13:27 EST 2000

To follow up on John's query about arctiids here's an interesting observation.

At Uxmal, Yucatan Mexico, I have repeatedly run a black light on a second story hotel balcony.  In the morning I always chase the moths off one by one so the hotel staff doesn't get pissed.  Kiskadees (a large tropical flycatcher) are common and perch in shrubs just off the balcony and pick off moths in the air as I chase them away.  So here's the interesting part.

The kiskadees nail almost every noctuid that gets flushed.  But for arctiids, they don't even leave their perch - they just totally ignore the moth as it flies away.  Granted this is casual observation, but I've seen it hundreds of times over visits spanning seceral years.  The fact that the birds totally ignore the arctiids suggests several things:

First - kiskadees don't like to eat arctiids
Second, kiskadees recognize arctiids from the moment that the moths start flying - some of the arctiids are not all that brightly colored - raising the question :

  Do kiskadees have really great eye sight and taxonomic skills, and can almost instantly recognize members of this family, or do the arctiids emit sounds as they fly, which announces their unpalitability?

I've always wanted to follow up with something a little more quantitative and experimental, but have never quite gotten around to it.

John Shuey