passiflora as larva host

Carol R. Lemmon Carol.Lemmon at po.state.ct.us
Wed Mar 22 08:39:41 EST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Kenneth Quinn <mosasaur47 at email.msn.com>
To: <leps-l at lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2000 1:10 PM
Subject: passiflora as larva host

> I know that Passiflora incarnata is a good host for the Gulf Fritillary;
> does anyone know which exotic species are also good hosts?

Gulf Fritillaries will also eat P. edulis, P. caerulea, P. suberosa, P.
lutea, plus most of the many cultivars derived from these species.  They
don't seem to be very fussy with their hostplants: I have a friend in
Florida who is having a hard time finding Passiflora that the 'frits' don't
like.  So far only P. vitifolia, P. quadrangularis, and P. alato-caerulea
(P. x belotii) are not used by Gulf Fritillaries.

I can get you a more complete list of usable hosts if you want it.

Good luck.

Jeff Fengler
CT Agricultural Experiment Station