Bt pollen and the little guys

John Shuey jshuey at tnc.org
Mon Mar 27 07:54:52 EST 2000

Back in my old days, I worked at Battelle Memorial Institute, and a
co-worker looked at the Bt strain used to kill mosquitos and its impact on
predators.  Essentially the design was to infect mosquito larvae, then feed
the dead and dying larvae to a variety of aquatic predators.  The bottom
line was that there was no impact on the predators, either acute (mortality)
or short-term chronic (longer-term survival and growth rate).  This was
pretty much expected, given the mode of action and its specificity to insect
foreguts.

I'm guessing that the same studies have been performed for the lep strain of
Bt (the studies above were required by EPA) and that the data are out there.

John Shuey