Butterfly book and supplies info needed...

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Wed Mar 29 19:40:21 EST 2000

Randy Emmitt wrote some stuff to an educator that was genuinely interested
in stimulating his students to perform an interactive and scientific study
of insects.  Like so much of what is being projected by well-meaning and
environmentally minded folks, Randy has discouraged real science by his
denouncing the collecting and killing of insects.  This is really an
unfortunate attitude.

Are we going to ask the biology teachers to stop dissections as well?  How
can we begin to hope that any of the young students of today will begin to
have an interest in things scientific - an interest in learning why things
should be conserved in the first place - if we aren't allowed to perform
science in the classroom?

Not to mention my ongoing issue with the hypocrisy of it all.  Who is anyone
to make another feel guilty about the way that they interact with the
natural world?  We're all guilty of trampling, consuming, and spewing - none
can claim a higher level of achievement when it comes to conservation.  We
leave scars where we step, we deplete what we consume, and we leave refuse
where we spew.  Self-righteousness doesn't play well here any more than it
does else where.

Please don't lay guilt trips on people who are doing the right sorts of
things.  Teaching children about the world of insects through nets, killing
jars, and spreading boards is good for science and good for conservation.

Mark Walker
Mission Viejo, CA