I'll give you the supplies-but-

Randy Minnehan minnehan at infinet.com
Thu Mar 30 19:09:43 EST 2000

David,

   I will take you up on your offer!  Thanks so much!  Do you recognize
my name as the guy who has purchased several butterflies from you in the
last week on eBay?  Any help or assistance you're willing to give will
be put to good use!  And I'll gladly post reactions and findings to the
LEPS-list!  Thank you for your generous offer!

   I think it is important to cultivate interest in science at an early
age.  And I KNOW my 4th grade students can handle it.  I have a
wonderful class, and my teaching methods allow for total immersion into
a subject for authentic, in-depth understanding.  Some students will
wish to draw butterflies, some will want to learn how to mount them...
some will want to learn how to protect them... the direction of
involvement is determined around the student's interest.  I'll explain
the learning process and results to the list as the study begins
(mid-April), and continues through the beginning of June.

   Students will explore the world of butterflies and moths basically on
their own, with my role serving as a guide.  This teaching style is
known as constructivist learning, and is a proven method leading to
ownership of the knowledge obtained.  For six or seven weeks, my
students will study all areas involving butterflies and moths, across
the curriculum, studying butterflies in areas of art, science, social
studies, math, literature, writing and even music and P.E.!  We will be
visiting a live butterfly presentation at a local botanical
conservatory, and I am assembling and continue to locate resources for
my students to use during this study, including mounted specimens,
cd-roms, books and equipment, (using my own personal funds I might
add).  The best way I can help my students is to supply the best
resources available that cover a wide range of material, so that they
can find any answers they can form.  They have been taught to respect
the earth and all the creatures therein, but they have also been taught
scientific methods by which to explore questions and learn from them.

   I have 19 students, most are 9 and 10 year olds.  But, do not
underestimate the power of young minds!  These students have been taught
how to investigate subjects completely and thoroughly.  The secret?  If
they form the questions, they will want to find the answers... and the
answers will create life-long knowledge and interest in the subject.

   Many thanks David!

   Randy Minnehan
   149 East Weisheimer Road
   Columbus, OH  43214-2147