Sorry

Rick Mikula butrfly at epix.net
Thu May 4 08:42:03 EDT 2000

> Heath Fred wrote:
>
>         Famous 18th century quotation, "Why don't we release a few
> European Starlings in the Shakespeare Garden here in Central Park in
> New York City. It will be lovely, just like back in England. What harm
> can a few starlings do?"

And I could not agree with you more if that were the case, but the
species used are from the United States and not imported from other
countries. As per the USDA they are not transported across the 100
meridian. So It seems that perhaps your example does not fit this
situation. I would be totally against releasing Bird wings in Toledo or
Morphos in Maine. There are however, only a few species that are
approved by the USDA and of those fewer are actually used. Nothing is
imported from foreign countries. Sorry.

R. Mikula