I need help.......

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Mon May 8 00:39:36 EDT 2000

Ken wrote:

> 	But introducing individuals of a species which is
> slowly declining
> in the attempt to reverse the decline does not seem to help. It's more
> to the point to improve the habitat, rather than just
> throwing butterflies
> at it.

O.K., but it would seem that a combination of both IS a good idea (although
this seems obvious, I'm amazed out how infrequent it appears to happen).
First the habitat is reduced, disturbed, or made discontinuous.  Then the
populations decline.  It seems that for many Lycaenids, simply restoring
habitat may not be sufficient - there is often a limitation to how far
certain species can emigrate.  In these cases, it would seem to me that
having someone rearing and reintroducing would be a good idea.  Not a
guaranteed success, of course, but a justifiable effort nonetheless.

I know that's what's happening on Palos Verdes peninsula (with reportedly
some disappointing success as of late) with the ssp. of G. lygdamus that was
previously thought to be extinct.  I'd sure like to think that this type of
effort was being considered more frequently.

Mark Walker.