Marsupial Mammal Venom?

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sat May 13 06:55:22 EDT 2000

Chris,
	I happen to be interested in animal venoms and I'd never heard
of a venom in Sugar Gliders (which doesn't mean much), but I just happen
to have my Walker (MAMMALS OF THE WORLD) at hand,  the section on the
genus Petaurus (four species), doesn't mention anything about this (nor
really anything on how they obtain or subdue prey). Sap, blossums,
nectar, insects, and small vertebrates (thumb-sized) are given as food
items.
	On the other hand many animal bites readily become infected
(however I would expect that to be red and hot rather than blue). A
quick check of my limited venom/toxin library provided no additional
clues (but also didn't cover the Shrews, so omission is not that
significant).
	You may be on to something interesting. However, before you go
experimenting on yourself remember that some animal proteins can be
sensitizers (worse reactions on subsequent bites).
	Good luck in sorting this out. If I encounter anything further
I'll let you know.

M. Gochfeld