NABA Field Trips in South Florida

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Sun May 21 22:02:50 EDT 2000

I have never directly attacked NABA nor it's members, I was once a member
myself. I have gladly provided information to a member organizing the field
trips. This information is the result of hours of field work collecting and
observing Lepidoptera.

I received several telephone calls Sunday evening informing me that during
one of the field trips to an area near Port Mayaca in Martin County, a
location that I provided, NABA members found several of my bait traps, one of
which they destroyed and others were taken.

I received permission from the land owner to collect and hang bait trap, and
even allow others, (NABA) to look for butterflies. What a wonderful reward
one receive when he helps those who claim not to be opposed to collecting. My
efforts to survey the Lepidoptera of South Florida requires time, effort and
money. The results of those efforts are a record of what occurs in south
Florida. My trap work along the Sugar Ridge of Lake Okeechobee (The Sugar
Ridge extends from west of the town of Okeechobee all the way into northern
Palm Beach County) has produced 533 species of Butterflies and moths in Bait
Traps, Light Traps and Pheromone Traps. I, along with Bob Beiriger and Dave
Fine have put forth a great effort to monitor the traps and record the
species that are collected in the traps. May I also make note that Bait Traps
are live traps. Only selected individuals are taken for records.

I believe that the action of the NABA members responsible for destroying and
taking my bait traps are a childish prank and demonstrate a total lack of
responsibility. They act like children! It shows their true face to serious
Lepidopterists''. This is my reward for freely giving help to insure that
NABA members have a great meeting.

I am sure that this will stir the coals and fuel the fires over the
collecting issue. I apologize if it does.

Cheers,

Leroy C. Koehn
6085 Wedgewood Village Circle
Lake Worth, FL 33463-7371