The Ball is now in NABA's court!

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Wed May 24 22:27:19 EDT 2000

I am a Lepidopterists', a very amateur one at that. As a Lepidopterists' I
collect specimens, I curate a personal collection, I design and build traps
of all sorts to collect Lepidoptera, I attempt to rear species of interest, I
photograph all stages of the Lepidoptera that I rear. I preserve larva, I am
the Editor of a regional Lepidopterists Society newsletter, etc., etc. I have
passion for the science that I love. That is my description of what I believe
a Lepidopterists is. However, I go one farther, I share the knowledge of
Lepidoptera that I have with all those who seek it. The majority of the
several hundred Lepidopterist that I know fit this description. Many that I
know are professional's working for Museums, Universities and nature
organizations. The study of Lepidoptera is a science.

NABA is an organization of butterfly watchers and gardeners. Although many
share similar interest, some consider themselves to be Lepidopterists, most
are watchers/observers.

The Fundamental difference between NABA and The Lepidopterists' Society is
the science. As a result there is a divide between the two organizations that
continues to widen as a result of NABA members. The destruction and taking of
my bait traps contributed to the divide. The animosity between Lepidopterists
and NABA members continues to grow.

I should be outraged at what happened to my traps. Since I posted the
incident I have received several apologies for NABA members and from Jeff
Glassberg. I even received a few e-mail messages that blamed me for the
incident. Again I should be outraged at being blamed.

First, there is no law that prohibits the collecting of insects, including
Lepidoptera, other that those insects receiving protection, whether federal,
local and or personal. My trapping Lepidoptera is not restricted or illegal.
My traps were on private property and I received permission from the property
owner to trap and collect on the property. Nothing that I was doing was
illegal. All the traps had my name and telephone number on the top of the
trap.

Secondly, I provided a NABA member arranging the field trips a number of
locations that they could visit in search of butterflies. I made this person
aware that I had traps at several of these locations. Although I never
suggested the removal of the traps prior to the field trip, I would have done
so if requested. My interest was that those attending the field trips would
enjoy seeing butterflies at these locations. I also understand that this
person is extremely up-set as the result of the trap smashing incident.

Finally, to continue to pursue this matter will only deepen the divide
between NABA and the Lepidopterists' Society. I willing accept the apologies
offered. I have provided the names of the culprits who destroyed the traps to
law enforcement (Please do not look for this incident on America's Most
Wanted). Besides, I design and fabricate the traps. The loss is not mine. The
real loser in this incident is NABA.

I have supported the Lepidopterists' Society since I first joined in 1970. I
have also supported the Society financially. I was once a NABA member, but
when the science that I love and the Society that I support came under attack
by NABA members, I could no longer be a part of NABA. NABA contends that it
is not opposed to collecting. They need to inform their members. I have
attempted to help close the divide between the two organizations by offering
my help where ever possible, even as the Editor of the Southern
Lepidopterists' Society's newsletter. Eliminating the divide will advance the
knowledge of Lepidoptera. I will not allow this incident to change my mind
nor my goals. I refuse to throw any more dirt. I am better than that. My
Grandmother had a saying that I hold true to this day; "What goes around,
comes around". If the divide is to be closed, the ball is now in NABA's
court. The next play is theirs.

The incident is finished and I think I have said enough.

Leroy C. Koehn
6085 Wedgewood Village Circle
Lake Worth, FL 33463-7371
Hm: 561-966-1655