Bioblitz near Portland, Oregon

Jeffrey A. Caldwell ecosys at pacbell.net
Thu May 25 23:04:51 EDT 2000

There is a notice on the website of the Xerces Society for a "bioblitz"
to be held in the Champoeg State Heritage Area,  just south of
Portland, Oregon.   This bioblitz is scheduled for 3 pm Friday, June 16
to 3 pm Saturday, June 17, 2000.   The idea is to identify every species
in about a  700-acre area in a 24-hour effort in which it is expected
that about 2000 species may be identified.   Apparently this is
something that has been done previously in the East but not in the
West.   Find out more about this specific event,  the concept and
previous such exercises at:
http://www.xerces.org/bioblitz.htm

It sounds a little like something I have imagined, but have never
experienced.  If any of you are "bioblitz" veterns,  I think it might be
interesting to hear what you have to say about the experience and the
results it yields!

Jeffrey A. Caldwell