Southern Hairstreak

Alan Wormington wormington at juno.com
Sat Nov 4 08:30:19 EST 2000

As a resident of Ontario -- the type locality of "Northern" Hairstreak --
I don't mind the name Southern Hairstreak.  Although the type was
collected in Ontario, there has not been another record in the province
until we found one at Point Pelee in 1999 -- 131 years later!.  However,
we always thought that Northern Hairstreak seemed like an odd name  for a
species that certainly is not northern.  When one tries to assess whether
a species is "northern" or "southern" you should look at the entire
continent of North America, not just the United States which is so
typical of Americans (sorry).  I think "Southern Hairstreak" is a good
name for the species as a whole.

Alan Wormington
Leamington, Ontario

New Web Page (incomplete, but I'm working on it):  www.Point-Pelee.com