Animal Communication series

Richard Worth rworth at oda.state.or.us
Tue Nov 7 18:32:31 EST 2000

Hey all/Bridget,   Here is a reference on the sounds produced in Hamadryas:

Yack, J.E., Otero, L.D., Dawson, J.W., Surlykke, A. and Fullard, J.H.
2000.  Sound production and hearing in the blue cracker butterfly,
Hamadryas feronia (Lepidoptera, Nymphalidae) from Venezuela.  J. EXP.
BIOL (in press).

In addition, here is the website where I found it.   J. H. Fullard
has done mountains of research on sound production/communication in
bats and moths as well as some other critters.  His fantastic list of
references is at:

http://www.erin.utoronto.ca/~w3full/fullpaps.htm

Cheers, Rich

>  > Chris Raper wrote in message ...
>  > >On Mon, 06 Nov 2000 14:09:38 GMT, Bridget.Appleby at bbc.co.uk wrote:
>  > >
>  > >Hi Bridget
>  > >
>  > >[cc'd to BA] I have posted this back to the group(s) because I think
>  > >we could get some interesting discussions going from this thread.
>  > >
>  > >>I am writing from the Natural History Unit at the BBC. We are making a
>  > >>series of programmes called 'Charlotte Uhlenbroek talks to the
>  > >>Animals', which is about how animals communicate. We are looking for
>  > >>unusual and surprising stories about how animals communicate, and would
>  > >>be grateful for any ideas people could give us.
>  >

>  > <snipped>
>  > >Other insect groups use sound (as in the grasshoppers & crickets) but
>  > >I can't think of many examples in the world of lepidoptera though. I
>  > >know the Central/South American Hamadryas spp. ('Crackers') make
>  > >clicking sounds in flight but I am not sure if this is comminication
>  > >between butterflies or to scare off predators.
>  > >
>  > >Best wishes,
>  > >Chris R.
>  >