[SoWestLep] Mexico expands monarch butterfly habitat

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Sun Nov 12 17:53:55 EST 2000

Dear Leppers,

    I believe that the majority of population biologists interested in the
problem tend to agree with Opler, Glassberg, Pyle and others that there are
serious potential dangers to butterfly release. That these dangers are not
confirmed yet in the case of monarch should be a source of anxious relief by
butterfly enthusiasts, not gloating by the pro-release, pro-pesticide,
anti-scientists on this list.
    Most ecologists are environmentalists from bitter experience and careful
analysis. It is simply not true that ecologists are fudging their data, lying
about their conclusions or intentionally misleading the public. Certainly,
ecologists are biased and fallible. Rarely are they the malicious liars that Paul
Chrubini suggests. If you get your science from Rush Limbaugh and junkscience.com
you get a distorted view of science.

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu