[SoWestLep] Mexico expands monarch butterfly habitat

Paul Cherubini cherubini at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 12 10:29:29 EST 2000

Pat Foley wrote:

> That these dangers [of butterfly releases] are not confirmed
> yet in the case of monarch should be a source of anxious relief by
> butterfly enthusiasts, not gloating by the pro-releasers

Yes it is fashionable in our first world academic culture to
carry the precautionary principle to an extreme as in "we shouldn't
believe there's any adverse effect until we have a good
hypothesis for its mechanism."

But the belief that we should not think all is OK when all is OK
because it may not be...is philosophy, not science.

Paul Cherubini, Placerville, Calif.