BAD SCIENCE? HOW WOULD YOU KNOW IT.

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sun Nov 12 19:53:50 EST 2000

The statement has been made:

"propagating bad science and false information to secure goals which are
ecologically high-minded and soundly altruistic" is a commonplace
phenomenon in our American scientific culture?"

 I wonder if it really is common? And I wonder if it's MORE COMMON than
"propagating bad science and false information to secure goals which are
opposite to high-minded and certainly not altruistic?

It is a popular political ploy to refer to any scientific findings that
undermine ones political interests, beliefs, or positions, as junk
science. But junk science cuts both ways.

It's particularly common, nowadays, for people with certain political
persuasions to decry environmental protection by calling scientific
findings that implicate chemical hazards or environmental damage as
"junk science".

The Asbestos industry is trying to re-open markets for chrysotile
asbestos by claiming, incorrectly, that chrysotile (the Canadian
asbestos) is "good asbestos" while amosite (the South African asbestos
is "bad asbestos).  Don't believe it. The data have been cleverly
corrupted.

The tobacco industry claims that cigarettes don't really cause lung
cancer, have to be considered junk science, even though scientists made
such statements with a straight face.

It's also important for us all to remember that science is always a work
in progress.  Try figuring out what to eat based on today's scientific
information. Eggs? butter? What about beta-carotene?

 Preliminary findings may or may not be borne out, but if not, they are
not necessarily bad science.  To hold such beliefs would identify one
squarely as "anti-science" and there is certainly a large undercurrent
of anti-science in this country.  I think more problems in protecting
(or not protecting) the environment arise from the failure to use
science than from using bad science.

Scientists indeed should be careful and honest in reflecting their
understanding of nature given the current state of knowledge.  If it
turns out to be wrong down-the-line, so be it.  Better imperfect science
than no science, I conclude.

Michael Gochfeld