aerial spraying is "DEVASTATING " to non-target species

rudy benavides rbenavid at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 14 10:52:50 EST 2000

In the late 1960s when my parents moved to the Ft. Myers, Florida area we
became acutely aware of this situation.  At least once a week, the county
there would dispatch a small squadron of DC-3s to fly back and forth across
the area - at a pretty low altitude - and spray (fog) the place with BAYTEX.
  I clearly remember how, when I was out jogging, and would hear the roar of
the engines in the distance, my heart would race, and I would make a mad
dash for home before the planes arrived overhead.

Our neighbor had a bait and tackle shop in town.  When the flights first
started, and the windows in his shop had been left open, he found most of
the live bait shrimp in his water tanks dead after a spraying.  He was
caught unaware a few other times, and had similar results, until he finally
called the city and was able to obtain information on their (erratic) flight
schedules.  After that, he made sure his windows were shut on spraying days,
and the incidents never re-occurred.

On nearby Sanibel Island, which is in great part a wildlife sanctuary made
up of federal and private preserves, naturalists there fought to have the
flights in and round the island halted.  I remember reading at the time how
large numbers of bees, dragonflies, birds, fish, and crustaceans were found
dead on Sanibel on the days following a spraying.  Today, mosquito
management at the National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel includes the presence
of tiny Gambusia affinis, mosquito fish in dikes constructed to impound
water all year round.  The fish feed on the larva, and the water also forces
the mosquitos to oviposit on dry land that eventually is flooded by tides or
by rainfall.  This has worked out very well on the refuge, and I have not
encountered mosquito problems when I have visited there at different times
of the year.

Rudy Benavides
Maryland

http://profiles.msn.com.