[LEPS-L:7861] Re: Holland book

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 14 12:17:16 EST 2000

Ken,
  Yes you were very lucky. My bookbuying started a little later because in
the fifties I could use the library at CNC/Ottawa and in the sixties I
could use the YPM library and Carnegie Museum Library. I did not start
serious book acquisition until the seventies in Texas. I think that the
1930 revised Holland BB has the same plates as the later printings, but I
am not certain. How many plates does your copy have.
  The Holland plates are useful. Many of them show "type" specimens, the
status of which was discussed later by F. M. Brown in a series of papers
with b&w illustrations. There are also a number of 'types' from authors
other than Edwards and Holland that are only illustrated in the BB. An
annotated guide to the plates would be a very useful paper. As far as I
know it has not been done yet. Someone within commuting distance of
Carnegie Museum could do it easily.