[LEPS-L:7869] Re: Holland book

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 14 12:55:56 EST 2000

At 08:56  14/11/00 -0500, you wrote:

>About 3 years ago I found a leather bound pocket guide (about 3"x6") to
>butterflies by Holland.  I bought it for $5.00 and it is in fair condition.
>This is the only one of these I have ever seen or heard of.  I'm guessing
>this version is exceptionally rare.  Anyone else out there have or seen this
>book?
>
>Jeff Fengler
>CT Agric. Exp. Station

Yes. some years ago I borrowed a very beat-up copy of Holland's Butterfly
Guide  through interlibrary loan. I have a xerographic copy in my files. It
is a primary source for common names that were learned by Boy Scouts while
completing their merit badge collections of butterflies. Although there
must have been a lot out there I think they were almost all used up! You
are lucky to find a copy in good condition.
  Now does anyone remember the story of that scondrel Sinclair?
................Chris Durden