[LEPS-L:7874] Re: [SoWestLep] Mexico expands monarch butterfly habitat

Alan and Jeri Coates alan5319 at aol.com
Tue Nov 14 15:58:48 EST 2000

American public..What about the rest of us? I used to live near a giant
chemical complex in North East England. There were many strange smells from the
plant but the residents were assured that nothing was at all harmfull in the
emmissions.

It all sort of fell apart when it became public became aware that the company
had provided under cover parking for their workers. If it rained, cars parked
in the open areas around the plant would loose their paint. I also learned that
there at least two accidental toxic releases each week of sufficient magnitude
to involve the local Police and Fire Service.

The region has the worst general health statistics in the U.K. but the local
population are assured that the level of health has nothing to do with the
proximity of the chemical plants.

Sure, the plants provide a great deal of work but I am minded of the rabbits in
'Watership Down' that realized that the source of their food was also the cause
of the death of members of the warren. They put up with it 'cause at least they
had food.

Alan