[LEPS-L:7899] Mosquito tolerance or resistance

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Thu Nov 16 21:54:16 EST 2000

> ...our host who had lived in Alaska for 15 years, he was forever
> swatting and batting mosquitos, and swelling up with each bite.

	I have lived in Alaska for 35 years, and spent a fair amount of
time in the field most summers. I never had much reaction to mosquitoes
when I arrived--and have never had much since. I think individual
variation among humans is a major factor here.

	By the way, the Alaska mosquitoes are not large (except for the
early spring ones that hibernate as adults). They are very small, but
very fast and determined. They remind me of WWII pictures of Stuka dive
bombers at work...

							Ken Philip
fnkwp at uaf.edu