[LEPS-L:7902] Re: Mosquito tolerance or resistance

Cris Guppy or Aud Fischer cguppy at quesnelbc.com
Fri Nov 17 01:30:22 EST 2000

Years ago I stopped at a picnic site along the Alaska Highway in the
southern Yukon. A huge vehicle from Texas pulled up and after a while a
classically dressed fly-fisherman (vest, hat, waders, rod, etc - all brand
new) stepped out. He disappeared through the trees down to the adjacent
river.

A few minutes later there was strenuous thrashing and cursing, and the Texan
came crashing out of the brush looking hot and bothered. He dove into his
vehicle, and before the door closed I could hear "Martha! The mosquitos down
there are THAT big!" (I kid you not, it was a Texan, and his wife's name was
Martha, assuming they were married).

When I finished lunch I wandered down to the river to kill some bugs (I was
on a general entomology inventory trip). The place swarmed with small, very
fierce mosquitos, and there were also thousands of craneflies! I collected
some of both, and left.