[LEPS-L:7914] Killer Yellowjackets?

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sat Nov 18 21:04:18 EST 2000

I was intrigued with Ron's report that Yellowjackets have an attack
distance of 10-15' from the nest.  That is greater than our experience
in southern New York or New Jersey where the attack distance is more
like 2-3 feet.  My Yellowjacket stings have usually come when I
inadvertently (surprise) stepped near or on an unseen nest. Then 3-5
stings would be the norm.

Here Yellowjacket nests are almost always under ground, although
occasionally in a log pile.  We had a nest in the broken headlight
molding of a car that was resting for severa months in our driveway.

I understand that in other parts of the range they regularly nest above
ground.

M GOCHFELD