[LEPS-L:7920] RE: Misinformation?

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Sun Nov 19 13:45:28 EST 2000

Michael Gochfeld wrote:

> I cannot agree about equally adept.  Again I'll refer to the
> scientists
> hired by the tobacco industry to attempt to mislead the
> public and the
> scientists into believing that "there is really no proof that smoking
> causes lung cancer".  These are well funded, highly professional
> mis-leaders, often equipped with colorful videos and dazzling
> graphics.
>
> Most scientists, and certainly those who argued the contrary position
> for years were hardly their equal.

Michael - you make it sound like some conspiracy.  Isn't it true that these
"highly professional mis-leaders" are simply scientists and colleagues who
are being retained and paid?  Aren't they similarly trained and equally
capable of speaking out of both sides of the mouth at the same time?

Why is it "certain" that these scientists are not equaled by their
colleagues supporting the opposition?

Mark Walker
Oceanside, CA