[LEPS-L:7927] Re: Nice account: An encounter with honeybees

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Nov 19 20:26:45 EST 2000

The red species is different and much more aggressive, as is the black.
  I would describe the -
*Polistes* sting as blunt, spikey and bruising
*Polybia* sting as sharp, intense spikey and bruising
*Vespula* sting as sharp, firey and hot
*Pepsis* sting as barbed needle-like, hot and brief

I have not yet let either *Dolichovespula* or *Vespa* sting me. I admire
the prowess of *D. maculata*. I once sat in a canoe among alders, and
watched *D. maculata* pick of the large tabanids in mid air, audibly
crunching them and feasting on the wing in the style of a dragonfly.
..........Chris Durden