[LEPS-L:7935] Re: An encounter with honeybees

pad_murali at my-deja.com pad_murali at my-deja.com
Mon Nov 20 12:30:22 EST 2000

Thanks a lot guys for shedding light on this apparently normal
behaviour of honey bees. Anyway, being an engineer I am still
fascinated by the memory of the structure and how it supports itself. I
learnt later that it is not uncommon for insects to support weights
many times more their own weight.

There are interesting and valid issues Mr.Gatrelle has raised, about my
attempts to drive them away. Was I right or wrong ?

To be more precise, what is the extent to which you take the case of
letting living species live their lives.

Well, it is quite true that humans are endowed with the power to change
their surroundings to their favour much more than what animals do. It
is also right that we should not take advantage of this extra ability
to the detriment of our other living brethren.

Is it really right? Actually, I believe, the typical reactions on this
issue are the result of a mixture of both logic and instincts.

It certainly is the instinctive benevolent nature of humans, to help
the needy and helpless, that makes us reach out to argue for the
apparently helpless animals. The passionate account that Mr.Green gave
of how gentle bees are certainly gave away his instinct to be gentle
with nature.

It is logical and longsighted to think of the longterm ill-effects of
felling trees or letting effluents into rivers, on the local eco-system
and eventually on man, than the short term benefits. However, the
unmistakable endpoint and concern here, though not always acknowledged,
is always the effect it has on humans. Mr.Green let it slip out when he
mentioned that not killing bees can save thousands of Dollars!
Nevertheless it makes sense to step back and think before doing
anything rash.

However the matter comes to a head, when people start screaming out
against any activity that remotely affects the lives of some living
species or the ecosystem in general. When people start taking the role
of gaurdians of nature. Nature has been in existence for millions of
years and will be for millions more, and there is nothing appreciable a
human being with a fractional life-span of 60 years can do to change
its course.

I believe that just as one has to use his head to prevent rash actions,
so too should one make good use of his sense to defend oneself when
necessary, from other living beings and not try to go overboard with
imaginary ideas of protecting nature.

I believe I was quite right in thinking of driving them away, instead
of trying to appreciate their gentle nature and letting myself exposed
to the danger of getting hurt seriously.

Pad Murali

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.