[LEPS-L:8008] Re: Help with Geometrid genus name

Jeff Crolla/Martha Hancock jeff at primus.ca
Tue Nov 28 12:56:17 EST 2000

McGuffin (1981, Guide to the Geometridae of Canada II. Subfamily Ennominae.
3) uses *Aspilates* (as did McDunnough in his 1938 Checklist) and has the
following explanation:
"Treitschke (1825: 431) named this genus for 13 European species. In this
description the name appears as *Aspitates*, a name Trietschke (1827: 126)
amended to *Aspilates*."

The references cited are:
Treitschke, F. 1825. Die Schmetterlinge von Europa (Fortsetzung des
Ochsenheimer'schen Werks). Vol. 5 (2): 431.
and
Treitschke, F.1827. Die Schmetterlinge von Europa (Fortsetzung des
Ochsenheimer'schen Werks). Vol 6 (1): 126.

Of a couple of books I have to hand, the recent Guide Des Papillons Du
Quebec by Handfield (which I believe has all the up-to-date nomenclatural
changes) uses *Aspitates*. J.C.E. Riotte in the Annotated List of Ontario
Lepidoptera uses *Aspilates* in the index but *Aspitates* in the checklist
itself !

Maybe the amended name (*Aspilates*) is not valid for some reason?

hope this helps

Jeff