[LEPS-L:8014] Re: Help with Geometrid genus name

Ian Thirlwell iant at care4free.net
Tue Nov 28 14:06:45 EST 2000

The current spelling in use in the European list (Karsholt et. al.,
1996) is
Aspitates Treitschke, 1825. Interestingly the genus seems to have been
split; there is now a genus Semiaspilates Wehrli, 1953. In the UK we had
Aspitates gilvaria and A. ochrearia. The latter is now Semiaspilates
ochrearia in the latest UK checklist (Bradley, 2000). Wehrli, I assume,
based the name on the amended spelling.

Ian

"Jeff Crolla/Martha Hancock" <jeff at primus.ca> wrote in message
news:003401c05964$83371240$049afed8 at default...
> McGuffin (1981, Guide to the Geometridae of Canada II. Subfamily
Ennominae.
> 3) uses *Aspilates* (as did McDunnough in his 1938 Checklist) and has
the
> following explanation:
> "Treitschke (1825: 431) named this genus for 13 European species. In
this
> description the name appears as *Aspitates*, a name Trietschke (1827:
126)
> amended to *Aspilates*."
>
> The references cited are:
> Treitschke, F. 1825. Die Schmetterlinge von Europa (Fortsetzung des
> Ochsenheimer'schen Werks). Vol. 5 (2): 431.
> and
> Treitschke, F.1827. Die Schmetterlinge von Europa (Fortsetzung des
> Ochsenheimer'schen Werks). Vol 6 (1): 126.
>
> Of a couple of books I have to hand, the recent Guide Des Papillons Du
> Quebec by Handfield (which I believe has all the up-to-date
nomenclatural
> changes) uses *Aspitates*. J.C.E. Riotte in the Annotated List of
Ontario
> Lepidoptera uses *Aspilates* in the index but *Aspitates* in the
checklist
> itself !
>
> Maybe the amended name (*Aspilates*) is not valid for some reason?
>
> hope this helps
>
> Jeff

Munroe