[LEPS-L:8026] Re: Monarch extinction

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 29 01:17:15 EST 2000

At 02:08  28/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Chris Durden wrote:
>
>>   Do we even have a firm list of butterfly species that have
>> become extinct
>> in North America, or in Europe? Is this list as small as I
>> expect, or can
>> someone substantiate a robust list?
>
>Obtaining a list of lep species that have become extinct within the last 400
>years would certainly be of great interest.
- - - - -
This list is essential as it is documentation of the genetic lineages lost
and of the bad side effects of our land use practices.
- - - - -C
 It is the list (and notion) of
>"almost extinct" that compels so many of us to be concerned, however.  There
>is no doubt in my mind that the ever growing human population and its
>propensity for sprawling is having a detrimental effect on the wildlife of
>our planet.  It is easy to argue that the case is over exaggerated, based on
>little actual evidence of extinction.
- - - - -
  Yes this extirpation of local populations until only a few, or one remain
is also very important. Studying the details of how it works and any
successes we may have in reversing it will be most helpful in possibly
preventing extinction of lineages.
- - - - -C
But one can also argue that we are
>entering into uncharted territory with respect to a continuing harmonious
>coexistence.
- - - - -
  There can be no question that this is so to anyone with an historical
perspective but it is an esthetic matter rather than a scientific one.
- - - - -C
 Is it possible that an epidemic of extinction is just around
>the corner?
- - - - -
  This is always possible. It has happened before and will happen again.
Usually the cause has been astronomical. Often the cause has been faunal
mixing when land masses meet. Invoking a pathogen is rather speculative,
seeing that we still have the American Chestnut species after the Chestnut
Blight and we still have the American Elm species after the Dutch Elm Disease.
  Is it possible that we are passing through a final window of
>opportunity for prevention?
- - - - -
  Judging by the ichnologic record of human activity as seen from space it
seems to me that we are far beyond that final window of opportunity for
prevention.
- - - - -Chris Durden