[LEPS-L:8033] Re: "Aspitates" vs. "Aspilates"

Robert Dana robert.dana at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Nov 29 10:23:10 EST 2000

Sorry, I had not seen Don Lafontaine's response to my original enquiry when I sent my latest post, but he makes it clear that "Aspitates" is the correct name to use.

Robert

Robert Dana, Ph.D.
MN DNR
Natural Heritage and Nongame Research Program
500 Lafayette Rd, Box 25
St. Paul, MN 55155
651 297-2367
Email: robert.dana at dnr.state.mn.us

>>> Don Lafontaine <burnbank at sympatico.ca> 11/29/00 5:40:25 AM >>>
In earlier years it was not uncommon for an author to "correct" a name that had
been mispelled through a mistake or typographical error and the "corrected" name
was then used. Aspitates was changed to Aspilates by Trietschke and everyone
(most?) followed that for more than 100 years!! The "rules of international
nomenclature" require that all names go back to the original spellings with
three exceptions (at least three immediately come to mind):
1. if there is evidence within the original publication itself that clearly
shows the name is a typo. (e.g. "I name this species oorti after my friend Mr.
Corti"). In fact Kohlers description of Agrotis oorti failed to say that so his
correction to "corti" later on had to be changed back to "oorti."
2. The "rules" of the ICZN (International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature)
require that the ending of a species name be changed to agree in gener with the
genus (e.g., Strymon californica becomes Satyrium californicum). An increasing
number or researchers, especially in butterflies are not applying this "rule"
and only use the original spelling so names don't keep changing in spelling
everytime someone uses a different genus. Also it can be a difficult rule to
apply because the need for the agreement and spelling of the ending depend on
Latin grammatical rules and whether the species name is a noun or an
adjective!!!
3. An emended name such as Aspilates can be "preserved" over the older name
Aspitates if an application is made to the ICZN to suppress the older name in
favor of the junior name. This is usually done when an older name (or older
spelling) has not been in use for a very long time and changing it would cause
more confusion that preserving it. No application was presented for Aspitates
and now it has been the commonly used spelling for about 30 years.

Don Lafontaine