[LEPS-L:8053] Re: Extinct 'species'

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 30 14:53:22 EST 2000

In article <45F8A30CE009D2118F850000F805064D03B1E454 at hqmail.gensym.com>,
  MWalker at gensym.com wrote:
> Neil Jones wrote:
>
> > If there is any "dumbing down" in the general debate on this
> > issue it comes from the pro-destruction anti-conservation
> > lobby who use
> >  tacktics such as dubious "Bent-science" web sites to promote half
> > truths and cobbled statistics to convince those who have not studied
> > ecology in detail.
>
> "pro-destruction anti-conservation lobby"?  I adamantly believe that
no such
> lobby exists.  You would do yourself well not to speak in half truths
> yourself.  If what you meant to reference are "those lobbying for
activities
> that appear to oppose Neil Jones' personal view of conservation and
> ecology", then say it this way.
<snip>

No Mark.This is not the case. I am surprised that as an American with in
interest in lepidoptera that you had not heard of the phenonmenon to
which I was referring. The "Wise Use" lobby.

Perhaps, as you sometimes do, you misunderstood me. As I have said many
times everyone is biased. I am glad to see that you too have adopted
the practice of making a personal statement in your signature quote
that represents your position. As you know I don't agree with you but
I respect your honesty. As with me everyone now knows where your coming
from.

Perhaps for the benefit of those who do not know about the term "Wise
use" I should explain that it is an American anti-conservation movement
funded by big business interests.
Perhaps the best description of the movement comes from one of its
founders one Ron Arnold who once said,

 "Our goal is to destroy, eradicate the environmental movement.We're
dead serious - we're going to destroy them."

Their tactics are best summed up by an other quote from him.

"Facts don't matter; in politics perception is reality."

The Junk-science web site is another Wise Use front. In this case
the tobacco industry is also involved. Steven "junkman" Milloy
is  one of those nice guys who went around saying that smoking didn't
cause so much cancer, and it wasn't addictive.
The web site is full of DELIBERATE misrepresentations. The latest target
for denigration is the internationally respected journal "Nature".

Mark, I respect your honesty, even when you misjudge me and fire
off quick flames. I don't want to stop you collecting but I do want to
save habitat and prevent extictions. These money grubbing scoundrels
have poor morals and they do not care who gets poisoned or killed as
a result of their actions.I would hope that this is one area where
our views of the world do coincide. I judge you to be a moral person
even if your views on biology are sometimes unorthodox.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.nwjones.demon.co.uk/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.