help identifying caterpillar!

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Tue Oct 10 18:45:43 EDT 2000

Or it could be a zebra longwing; Heliconius charitonius. Was it on
passionvine? Did you notice what it was eating? When you adopt a
caterpillar it is a good idea to make sure that you know, and will be
able to provide, plenty of its host plant ... otherwise you wind up
wringing your hands and watching your little one starve.
The ifas site will doubtless help you decide ... and you may be able to
find the host plant at a nursery. If it's S. epilais, it will also eat
Adenium obesum, the Desert Rose, which you can buy as a house plant. It
ain't cheap. I assume you're back in New Jersey? If in Florida, you
should have no trouble providing host plant for either possibility.
Good luck
Anne Kilmer
South Florida