Cold to preserve specimens.

Linda Rogers llrogers at airmail.net
Wed Oct 11 17:42:22 EDT 2000

At 01:03 PM 10/11/00 -0400, you wrote:
>     The subject here is the long term preservation of adult specimens via
>refrigeration. This is presented as general information to everyone.
>     In the discussion between Linda Rogers and Yo, we considered the
>possibility of preserving living adult butterflies via subjection to cold. I
>say this works. She says it does not.

         Ron, perhaps I wasn't clear.  What I was saying was that I
         didn't think theft of butterflies from overwintering site, transferred
         to U.S. buyers was feasible, for many reasons - not just
         the inability to preserve livestock effectively by cooling them.

         Of course, butterfly breeders use temperature to regulate
         development (caterpillars and chrysalides, increase warmth
         to speed development and emergence or cool down to slow
         development).  Adult butterflies are often containerized and cooled
         to lengthen their lifespan, removing and feeding them at
         certain intervals.

         I had a hard time picturing the butterfly bandits gently
         removing the butterflies from their containers and hand
         feeding them, at the correct intervals, to prevent dehydration
         and give them nourishment.  Selling drugs would be
         a lot easier and more lucrative if one were choosing which
         illegal activity to take part in.

         If anyone is interested, I would be glad to forward a
         temperature chart for controlling livestock growth
         for Monarchs, Painted Lady, Mourning Cloak,
         Red Admiral, Black Swallowtail, Giant Swallowtail,
         Zebras and Gulf Fritillaries, attached to private
         e-mail.

         Linda Rogers