Netiquette (keep elbows off table)

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Thu Oct 12 11:37:22 EDT 2000

From: Ron Gatrelle
To: Net-buddies

My son, Ben, being the experienced net-er that he is -- and knowing that his
dad is a basic net-wit -- took it upon himself to foreword me the following.
Since misery loves company, I thought I would pass this on to ya'll.
----------------------------
Do you know the rules of Netiquette?

Cyberspace, like the real world, is governed by social etiquette rules, also
known as "Netiquette". As a businessperson, knowing and following these
rules can help you create a professional impression in your on-line
communications with customers, suppliers and associates.

Netiquette expert Virginia Shea has one basic rule she calls "remembering
the human". Try to see your message through the reader's eye. In other
words, ask yourself, "How would I feel if I received this message?"

Here are just a few of the rules of Netiquette:
* Avoid using caps. Anything typed in capital letters in an e-mail or
chat room is understood as SHOUTING and is generally considered bad form. Be
careful not to go overboard on exclamation points, (or "bangs"), either. If
you need to emphasize something, try *asterisks*.

* Stay away from SPAM. Sending unsolicited mass e-mail is a practice
that is not welcomed by savvy Net citizens. If you're planning to send out
an e-mail promotion, always get the recipient's permission first. (We'll
talk more about e-marketing in an upcoming edition of the e-News.)

* Respect the recipient's time and bandwidth. Keep e-mail messages
brief and to the point, and when replying, only include as much of the
original message as necessary. Also keep file attachments, (which can
increase download time), to a minimum.

* Don't forget the Subject and Signature. Every e-mail should include
a short description of the message in the Subject line. End the note with
your name, e-mail address and phone number. Most standard e-mail programs
will allow you to set a "Signature file" that will handle this
automatically. The Signature can also be a good place to include your
company slogan or a brief promotional statement. Just remember to keep the
entire piece under three lines in length.
Find out why Virginia Shea, author of "Netiquette", has been called the "Ms.
Manners" of the Internet, and get more great tips on communicating with
class at:
<http://smallbusiness-enews.ihost.com/cgi-bin8/flo?y=hBo80fVRz0YU0BdDl>