Clouded Yellows

Nick Greatorex-Davies ngd at ceh.ac.uk
Mon Oct 16 11:22:06 EDT 2000

Carel wrote:

Mr J Nick Greatorex-Davies
(Butterfly Monitoring Scheme co-ordinator)
NERC Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Monks Wood
Abbots Ripton
Huntingdon
Cambridgeshire PE28 2LS  UK

Tel: (+44) (0) 1487 773 381
Fax: (+44) (0) 1487 773 467
E-mail: ngd at ceh.ac.uk

>>> "Carel Goodheir" <carel.goodheir3 at virgin.net> 15/10/00 21:55:38

May I ask a question for a friend without access to the net, about
Clouded
Yellows?
Could we have seen two just north of Benderloch, in North Argyll, in
the
West Highlands of Scotland on the 11th of October this year?

Quite likely. It has been a very good year for this migrant in the
UK. It has been relatively common in many parts of England and Wales.
Good numbers have been recorded in Northern Ireland (highest numbers
since 1983) and it has certainly been seen in Scotland (though I have
no idea of numbers). They have been seen here in Cambridgeshire until
the first week in October, but the weather has been very poor here
since then. According to Nick Bowles on Butterfly Conservation's
Butterfly Line (+44 (0) 891 884 505) he expects to receive further
records this month providing the weather improves and there are no
serious frosts. Here in Cambridegshire they have been recorded as late
as November in the past.

Regards
Nick