Publication

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Mon Oct 16 13:18:35 EDT 2000

Bruce Walsh wrote:

> Predictions:
>
> Neil is certainly a splitter, as is Paul.
> Patrick started slow, but came on strong, so perhaps a newfound
> conversion to splitter-hold.  However, Mark Walker puts all
> the other "splitters"
> to same in terms of total Leps-l keystrokes.
>
> :)

Interesting observation, Bruce.  I do think there is something - perhaps
publishable - here.

Just for the record (and I think I've expressed this opinion here before), I
have avoided either classification for myself.  What I am keenly aware of
(and interested in) is the amazing diversity in Creation.  As a voucher
collector, I am always looking for noticeable differences in individuals.
Whenever I find consistent differences in localized populations, I generally
collect a series of individuals.  If the species is rare and threatened, I
collect a LARGE series.

Just kidding.

I am less concerned with the biological criteria for specific or
sub-specific taxonomic diversity.  To me, the fact that there is variation
is of great significance in and of itself.  Field guides that leave out
sub-specific (or clinal or whatever else it might be called) variation are
guilty of FILTERING important information.  Once left out, this information
may likely be lost forever (like when "splitter" field guides go out of
print, for example).  This is, IMHO, a tragic consequence of the
splitter-lumper controversy.

So, to the extent that lumping is a filtering (non-verbose?) behavior - this
may be great for keeping things brief and to the point.  But it's never good
science to throw away good data.  Call them sub-species, types, forms -
whatever you want to call them - just don't call them all apples.

I think I'm proving Bruce's point.  I don't know if I'm a splitter, but I'm
certainly a rambler and a blabbermouth.  Just ask Bill Gendron - whose ear I
nearly blabbed off on our recent field trip to SE Arizona.

blah blah blah

Mark Walker
Oceanside, CA