Laguna Mtns., CA (10/8/00)

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Tue Oct 17 00:24:33 EDT 2000

On our way to Arizona, Bill Gendron and I stopped to check out a few
locations near Laguna meadow (in San Diego county).  The weather was fine,
and we were pleasantly surprised to find quite a few leps on the wing.  By
9:30 there were several Purplish Coppers (Lycaena helloides) flying.  These
were the first I've seen this year - so that was a pleasant surprise.
Harfords Sulphurs (Colias harfordii) are still flying - mostly females.  We
saw a number of skippers and some other goodies, but had to head out rather
early.  We were driving east on U.S. 8 - and wanted to get to Yuma before
sunset.

Here is our list:

Colias eurytheme (Orange Sulphur)
Colias harfordii (Harford's Sulphur)
Zerene eurydice (California Dogface)

Lycaena helloides (Purplish Copper)
Strymon melinus (Gray Hairstreak)
Leptotes marina (Marine Blue)
Plebejus acmon (Acmon Blue)
Lycaeides melissa (Melissa Blue)

Calephelis nemesis (Fatal Metalmark)
Apodemia mormo/virgulti (Mormon Metalmark)

Phyciodes mylitta (Mylitta Crescentspot)
Vanessa virginiensis (American Painted Lady)
Vanessa cardui (Painted Lady)
Junonia coenia (Buckeye)

Erynnis funeralis (Funereal Duskywing)

Hylephila phyleus (Fiery Skipper)