Subspecies and protection

Jean-Michel MAES jmmaes at ibw.com.ni
Tue Oct 17 13:25:07 EDT 2000

Dear Paul Cherubini,

I have never observed monarch migration in Nicaragua but could be.
Migrations of Urania is east to west, I have observed it. I have observed
also migrations of Eunica monima, in dense groups of some thousands
individuals but they were going down a mountain and I do not have an idea
where they were going to.

In the case of Urania, the migration is well observed by many people, but
once more : "WHY" do they migrate ? The host plant is on the atlantic part
of the country, the climate is better also on the atlantic part, more humid.
So why ? Some people tells me here that, if the people go to the beach, why
not the Urania ? It is nearly a nonsense in both cases.

In the book you mention, which name of subspecies do the use ?

Sincerely,

Jean-Michel MAES
MUSEO ENTOMOLOGICO
AP 527