Wahlberg is right

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Fri Oct 27 15:58:23 EDT 2000

Way to go Niklas!!! I was hoping someone would say this. Americans often
wonder why they (we) are so disliked around the world. First, we can't even
speak our own language and then have the absurdity to think everyone else in
the world should or does. Our term for this here is  -- Pig Headed. Far too
many Americans are defiantly pig headed.

Next, when certain Americans call Gillett's checkerspot Gillette's
checkerspot they are not engaged in some deep intellectual or grammatical
exercise. They are just revealing typical lazy American ignorance.  Then
when they are not manly (or woman) enough to admit their mistake, their pig
head comes out and they try to defend their defenseless position. Taxonomy
101 is that our Linnean system of trinomial Latin based scientific names was
created and implemented specifically to give universal stability to the
names of organisms BECAUSE everyone was just calling stuff by what ever
COMMON NAME they wanted.
Dumbing down is going back. Going back to common names, no subspecies, no
science, just watch, take pictures, smile, be as we Americans' say fat,
dumb, and happy.