Bug zappers

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Tue Oct 31 00:25:52 EST 2000

We all know that you need a permit to collect insects, or any wildlife, in a
National Park. The same is true for the State Parks in Florida. Much has been
said about the anti-collecting rhetoric from the park personnel in the
Florida Keys. I have been told that the indiscriminate killing of insects by
my light traps is not wanted. However, every park has bug zappers around the
bathrooms. You can stand next to a bug zapper while being consumed by
mosquitos as a Mosquito Control Air Planes flies overhead spraying
insecticides. (The last time I was in the Keys, I was having lunch at a my
favorite Bar & Grill. If you have their chili bean taco's, you ride home with
the windows down. I over heard a couple of local, soon to be drunk drunks,
claiming that the mosquitos in the Keys had developed a vaccine against
insecticides. They also claimed that the mosquitos were rafting over from
Cuba. Evidently, even the bugs don't like Fidel!)

Don't you just love it!

Leroy C. Koehn
202 Redding Road
Georgetown, KY  40324