SEABA Field Trip to Sonora

Hank & Priscilla Brodkin hankb at theriver.com
Wed Sep 6 00:38:34 EDT 2000

Thanks to a wonderful and knowledgable group of people - there were
thirteen of us -
the SoutEast Arizona Butterfly Trip to Sonora was the best ever.  We
made it to Canyon de Nacapule near San Carlos about 4:00 PM in the
afternoon - just about time to see very photographable BLackened
Blue-Wings going to roost.  We also saw a Boa Constricter, a relict race
of Cliff Chipmunk, and a species of Leopard Frog - also probably a
species or race restricted to this oasis.
Strangley absent were the numerous species of hairstreaks and metalmarks
seen in previous years on the baccharis along Highway 16.  Only a few of
these were found
Interesting butterfly species seen along 16 between Hermosillo and
Yecora were White-dotted Cattleheart (Parides alpoius), Bumblebee
Metalmark (Baeotis zonata) , Tawny Emperor (Asterocampa idyja),
Black-patched Cracker (Hamadryas atlantis), and Boisduval's Owl
(Opsophanes boisduvali).  Hopefully by next weekend I will be able to
get a complete species list on the SEABA website.
Cheers!
--
	             Hank & Priscilla Brodkin
	          Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ