Robinia leaf miner

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Wed Sep 6 21:20:35 EDT 2000

At the risk of posting two beetle items in a row:

I grew up in northern Westchester County, New York, in a house
surrounded by stately (perhaps an inappropriate term) Black Locusts that
my grandmother planted in the late 1920's.  They are still there.

Here in central New Jersey, Black Locusts comprise the only mature trees
on our property.

Therefore it was a shock this weekend, driving through Dutchess County,
(southeastern) New York, to encounter endless stands of Black Locusts
with dead leaves. I examined them and found evidence of total saturation
(virtually 100% of the leaflets) by a leaf miner, which I later found
out was a beetle, Odontota dorsalis (Thunberg).  This creature is
apparently lethal to Black Locusts in the Ohio Valley and parts of
southeastern U.S., and I never knew it was in the northeast.  Perhaps
three mild winters in a row has allowed it to prosper.

In this area in the 1950's we experienced the virtual extinction of
wild Gray Birch by a leaf miner (a wasplet I believe).  So  the
possibility of losing Black Locusts is very real.  I realize that this
is often considered a weed tree, but that is another issue.

Those of us for whom this Locust Miner is a new "pest" would be
interested in the experience in areas where this miner has been endemic
for a while.

Michael Gochfeld